Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Delonte Struggling



ESPNBoston.com -


Although he's made over $14 million in the NBA, Delonte West tweeted recently that he is "broke" and has applied for a job at Home Depot. 


"It's official.. Pride 2 the side.. just filled out a application at Home Depot.. Lockout aint a game," the Celtics guard tweeted.

West is on probation for a weapons charge and also tweeted that he wasn't allowed to pursue basketball opportunities overseas.
"Can't even get that over seas money," he tweeted. "Judge said it's a no go on leaving the country."
West has battled bipolar disorder during his career and also posted this to Twitter: "Broke down in the ATM line.. 25 cars behind me and I already reached my daily limit... I'm broke n my cars broke.. Where's my therapist???"
Appearing in only 24 games this past season, the 27-year-old West averaged 5.6 points in his second stint with the Celtics.
This is really sad to hear about Delonte.  I know the guy has had issues in his past and we can't just ignore those issues when bad times arrive, but there's no getting around feeling bad for him.  Basketball is his life.  It's what he excels at.  Being told that he can't play basketball next year because of the lockout cannot be an easy thing to take.  And to make matters worse, he can't even look overseas for opportunities to play, which is what many players in the league have resorted to.  
Now there's nothing wrong with West applying for a job at Home Depot.  In fact, I respect him for it.  He's not being lazy or being pretentious.  He's being realistic and understands that steady income is important for him right now.  I just see him as more of a Sports Authority or Dick's kind of guy, right?  I would want his expertise on which type of basketball to buy or which hoop he recommends.  I think he'd become a tourist attraction and people would flock to his store.  Maybe earn him a nice little bonus.  
I hope everything works out for Delonte in the end.  He started as a Celtic and he found his way back home this past year.  Therefore, I want to see him do well.  Let's just hope we see him, along with all the other hometown heroes, back in green this fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment